Now that you are here... Where do you want to go?


¿Do you want to go to Malaysia or to Uganda?

Or maybe you want to know why we are in Uganda.




martes, 26 de agosto de 2008

Getting started...


Last friday I finally went for a walk with my camera not worrying about anything else than taking pictures. You have no idea about how much I needed it. Until then I had taken pictures, but it was always because it was on the way when we all were walking to somewhere, or I was going to buy something or to find some information. But not this time, on friday I took all my stuff and I went to see the world out there. But let's go step by step, don't hurry up.

Before telling you anything else, I am going to tell you about Zaid. Zaid is the driver that Zuzana's company contracted here in Kuala Lumpur. He’s a good guy, just for you to have an idea, the other day in the afternoon he was around here, in the flat-office, and since he didn't have anything to do, he made us a salad, and the best thing is that it was really good.

That weekend two cousins of Zaid celebrated their wedding (not between them, of course), and on Sunday Zaid took us all there as guests. It was a Malay wedding, and he told us that they celebrate Malay weddings during three days. We only went on the third day, so I hope to go with Dan to all three days of his family wedding (you know i don't remember if t is his brother or sister getting married). The people there were very charming, thanking us for coming, the traditions were very interesting, the food was good… everything was great. I made just a few pictures because I didn’t know what was going to happen, where the people were going to appear from and besides I didn’t want to be too much in the middle. I didn’t take the flash with me becasuse I didn't want to carry all the things… well, really, they are just excuses not to say that I don’t have anything spectacular, ups…


During the week I didn’t really do anything special. Just for a change, a lot of search of shops and surfing Internet to find information. But one thing’s for sure, the search finally secceeded. At least I found two second hand lenses which I was interested in, and a new camera bag, because in the one I had the D700 was a bit too tight, poor thing. So finally I managed to complete my photographic equipment (so far). For those of you who are more freaks, I’m explaining it in more detail here.

And finally on thursday evening I decided that it was enough and that I wanted to go to take pictures, because that's why I came.

So on friday moning I went again to Little india to finish the walk that we started the weekend before in the street market... and that's how I found out that the market is on saturdays and not on fridays.

What I didn't know, and I don't think I will ever forget, is that in Islam the Friday Prayer (called jumu'ah), which is after noon, is obligatory for all men. On Friday I was lucky to pass by the Hindu Mosque a bit later than one o'clock. When I arrived there I already saw that there were some people ready for prayer. But, little by little there were more people coming until at the end there were there, literally, hundreds of men praying at the same time, an all them facing Mecca, of course. You can be sure it has been amazing.


Once the prayer was finished (and I had already asked somebody to explain me what had happened there) I continued walking, taking pictures and from time to time talking with somebody. Until I arrived to a Chinese temple called Sze Ya.


There I met two Chineses: Yin Bin and Migguell (this doesn't sound very Chinese, I know). I asked them if they didn't mind that I took pictures of them while making the rituals. And I also asked them if they could explain me what they were doing. They told me that people use to go there to ask for different reasons. For example he was going to ask about his studies. I guess you understand that I am not going to tell you now every single aspect, but I was joining them in all the different ceremonies.



My plan was to keep on walking to Chinatown, but after a while it started to rain and I had to leave. Anyway I had something very important to do, I had to go to pick my business cards up (really much cheaper than in Spain). So yes, I already have a business card to give out around Malaysia. I have no idea which colour you will see on the screen, I have set it with the colour we chose en the printing works (from pantone colors), but you never know. So here you are, my business card:


And yes, that's my telephone number, if you want to call me just dial it.

I think this all, because on sunday we went to a place called FRIM which is a place close to Kuala Lumpur where you can see primary and secundary rain fores. There are some paths you can walk and it is not bad, but you don't really have the feeling of being in the rain forest (well, sometimes a bit).



After all, it seems that this could be taking off...

No hay comentarios: